New York Cheesecake is such a classic rich, dense creamy cake! This recipe makes such a perfect one, and doesn’t require a water bath like most cheesecake recipes.
Top it off with fresh strawberries, a homemade strawberry basil coulis and it’s perfect. The basil in the coulis adds an extra depth of flavour you will love.
With Valentines just around the corner this dessert would make a great ending to a home cooked dinner date. Let’s impress that special someone with the cheesecake of their dreams!
Preheat oven to 425°F. Cut a piece of parchment to place on the bottom of your spring form pan.
**TIP** Flip the bottom of your springform pan upside down so that the crust isn’t in the grove of the bottom tray**
1. In a small bowl, mix together crumbs and melted butter until combined. Press mixture into the bottom of the pan. Spread crumbs into an even layer of the 8inch pan.
2. In a mixer with a paddle attachment, beat cream cheese on medium speed until smooth, 3-5 minutes, depending on the temperature of the cream cheese. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl. Repeat mixing if there are still lumps. Scrape down, add sugar and beat until blended. Scrape down, add cornstarch and mix until blended. Add the eggs and mix until fully combined. Add the cream, vanilla extract, and lemon juice and mix just until combined. Pour batter into your prepared spring form pan.
3. Bake cake for 10 minutes at 425°F. After 10 minutes lower the temperature to 225°F and continue to bake for 60 minutes or until golden brown around the edges, and the sides are set but the centre is still slightly wobbly. If you over bake the cheesecake it will start to crack.
4. Turn off the oven and open the oven door halfway. Leave the cake in the oven for 30-50 minutes. This will help prevent the cake from cracking and the cake will remain creamy.
5. Take the cake out of the oven and allow it to cool to room temperature. Roughly 1 hour. Cover the cake and place in the refrigerator overnight.
6. Decorate with fresh cut strawberries and serve with the strawberry basil coulis.
1. Wash strawberries, place in blender and blend into a smooth puree.
2. Transfer to a small pot or pan, add lemon juice, water and sugar. Cook for a few minutes until sugar has melted and everything is fully combined. Set aside to cool.
3. Finely chop basil. Add to strawberry coulis once it has cooled. Refrigerate and serve with slice of cheesecake.
1 1/2 Cup Graham crumbs
4 Tbsp Butter, melted
900g Cream Cheese
1 Cup + 2 Tbsp Sugar
2 Tbsp Cornstarch
4 Whole eggs, + 1 egg yolk
1/2 Cup Whip cream
1 1/2 tsp Vanilla
2 Tsp Lemon juice
1 Cup Fresh strawberries
1 Tbsp Icing sugar
2 Tbsp Lemon juice
2 Tbsp fresh finely chopped basil
You can also add water is you would like a thin coulis.